Monday, January 11, 2010

Continued Tales of a Distal Tendon

December 29, 2009 - Day of "The Incident"


Nothing is worse than being toasty warm in your bed, thinking you might get to sleep in until 7:00 when the phone rings at 6:14. "Can you please be to the surgical center at 8:00? We've had a few cancellations and would like to move your surgery up."

So out of the bed I climbed, spread the news to Jeff and on our way we went.



Isn't he cute all dressed up for surgery!

He had a nerve block in his arm for the pain. They sedated him and told me that it would be a great time to ask him anything I would like, since he wouldn't remember the answer he gave me. (Should've asked for a new pair of shoes...he doesn't remember me even being with him at that point.)



After about an hour in surgery he was finished and I met with his doctor. The tendon had retracted more than they thought it would have. It was a tight repair, and at one point the doctor was going to come get my permission to do more extensive surgery and take a graft. Luckily he got it to stretch just enough that it didn't have to happen. (However, pray the tendon doesn't rupture, because then he will have to do it all over again with a graft.)


Dr. Callister says it looks good and will see him in two weeks to remove the stitches.

Try getting a shirt over that thumb and wrist...

So the lesson to be learned?
  • Always wear your gloves!
  • And if it hurts...don't listen to your wife, go back to the doctor.

After almost 10 years working with box cutters, I'm grateful it hasn't happened before.

I didn't include the before stitches pictures...they're not so pretty. I apologize for the poor quality of these pictures. Our phones were free and you know what they say, "You get what you pay for!"

Thank you for the prayers that we know were said in Jeff's behalf. We appreciate them and know that they were answered.

0 comments: