Saturdays have not been good for us lately. In fact I think we're going to cancel them for the rest of the year.
The last Saturday in September we spent the night in the ER with my Gram and thankfully everything turned out okay. Then about 3 weeks ago my mom called on Sunday morning and said that my Grandma Meyer was in the ER with chest pains and dizziness. Thankfully again, everything was okay.
Well I guess you can't be lucky three times in a row. We got a phone call late last night that Jeff's grandma was in the ER. She had stopped breathing and the paramedics had been called in. It sounded like everything was going to be fine. Her home teachers were there and we got told to stay put. About two hours later we got the phone call no one wants. Grandma was in congestive heart failure. They think she'd had a heart attack within the last week or so and she was in a coma and probably wouldn't come out of it.
It was a stab in the heart for Jeff. We'd planned on visiting Grandma today. He was kicking himself for not going to visit sooner. Although she lives in West Bountiful we just didn't see her very often. Always seemed too busy. So this morning we got up, ran and took the sacrament at church, (I'm sure they think we're going inactive by now), dropped Cute Stuff off at my mom's house and then met at the house to head down to the hospital. Jeff's mom had spent the night in Centerville with her sister. All the aunts and uncles had been called and were headed down. One aunt was in Texas, flying home today and an uncle was in California, not expected to be in until about midnight tonight. Once we got the the hospital they'd only let two of us in to see her at a time. Just before Jeff got to go in his two other uncles showed up and we had to wait. We finally got a chance to see her. Everyone said she didn't look good but we still weren't prepared. I guess my views of comas are silly. I'm not as well educated when it comes to medicine. I was expecting the kind of coma you see on television. They lie there, not moving, eyes closed. She didn't look like herself. Her body was convulsing, and her mouth looked like it was chewing. And I was not ready to see her eyes open. They had a vacant look on them, and I knew she couldn't see us but it was really hard. I'm not sure I've ever seen Jeff cry like that.
Several of Jeff's cousins made it down from Idaho and finally after everyone who wanted to and could, came to see her they took her off life support at 5:25pm. She peacefully returned to Grandpa Delone at 5:41.
I'm so glad CS got to meet her and Grandma was able to hold her in her arms. I'm not hooked up to my computer so I can't post any pictures tonight but I want to post the pictures I have of Grandma and will do so soon. She was the sweetest, funniest lady. She told it how it was and she always had a story to share. She loved her toys. I remember talking about what toy to get her for Christmas each year. I know she's watching us now and that she's happier and in a better place. It doesn't make it any easier but we're doing our best to remember the good times and celebrate her life. We've all made it past the running mascara phase and now we're in the laughter so we don't have to think about it phase.
I don't know how many grandkids she had but I found out today that with Quentin and Elisa's twins that made 40 great-grandkids.
We love you Grandma. Hope we make you proud.
Sunday, November 23, 2008
We Love You Grandma
Posted by Lisa at 9:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Lisa and Jeff, I'm so sorry to hear about Grandma. Wish I could be there to give you hugs.
We are truly sorry to hear about Grandma S. Thinking of you all. The Bartlett's
Post a Comment