Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Blogging Dangers & Going Private

I don't know how many of you were able to see the news story about Blogging on KSL last night but it made me a little nervous. Our blog isn't searchable but after watching their story we have decided to go private.

We will be private by November 15, 2008. Please send me an email to jklmbodily@gmail.com so that I can extend an invitation to you to be able to view our blog. We still want all of you to come and see what is happening in our lives and we still want to be in contact with you...we just want to do it a little bit safer.

We love all of you and hope to get an email from you soon. Hope you all understand.

Here is the link to KSL to watch the news story if you would like.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=4699330

1 comments:

Dirk said...

Of course it's your decision Lisa, but let me advise you that the KSL article was very, very poorly researched and presented. In fact I've commented on the KSL forums for that article several times under the name Zablde.

Basically, they used fear to sell viewers. The "Scary" situations they cited were both non-issues. The family owns the copyright on the picture of the kid and a DMCA takedown notice would have yanked that picture right off the site. ISP's and hosting providers honor those take down notices because otherwise they become liable.

As to the stalking situation, Blogspot already has an option to avoid that, just implement comment moderation. Those so called stalkers/harassers just want the attention, if you never let their posts see the light of day, they quickly lose interest and go find something else to do.

What I do recommend is stick with nicknames for your kid(s) and make sure you never put you address on the blog.

If you go private, please invite me and melinda, I don't know if she checks your blog but I try to visit at least weekly.