Monday, October 5, 2009

Timing is Everything

June 2008: We made an offer on what we thought was the perfect home for us. We were very excited but the seller was offended. We were sad. We started looking again.

March 2009: We made an offer on a different home, another one we loved and we waited and waited...and waited. Someone else slipped in the back. We were sad. We started looking again.

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever get a home of our own. Perhaps I was being slightly picky as to my wants and needs, but this is a 30 year committment and I decided I had the right to be a little bit picky.

June 2009: We made an offer on the home we offered on in June 2008. This time it was short sale and the seller couldn't get too offened by our offer since the bank had the final say. Well it only took about 3 1/2 months, but we finally got word.

The bank accepted our offer! We're getting a house!!
So a totally unplanned trip to the temple and a few prayers later and I think I'm finally ready to share the piece of news that I've been nervous to share. So many things could go wrong or fall through but then today word came:
  • The loan was approved.
  • The appraisal came in $2K more than our offer. (Instant equity. Yea!)
  • The documentation is all coming through in a timely manner.
  • We're scheduled to close on October 30th. YIKES!!

Is it too late to change my mind? The scary, "Oh my heck I'm buying a house!" feelings are back. No, I won't change my mind, but it's a huge step! I've never done this before.

So all of you who have been wondering, now you know. Oh, and the timing thing? We've been worried about what Gram would do when we move out. Well, Aunt Jan's lease on her apartment is up November 8th. She either needs to resign or move out. Just another reminder that the Lord works on his timetable and not ours.

I'm excited for the neighborhood. I already know at least one of my neighbors and I've heard all kinds of great things about many of the others. We're friends with the Elder's Quorum president and I play softball with his wife. We've heard great things about the ward. It's going to be a huge change in our lives but it will be a good one.

It'll almost be like getting married again. I finally get to unpack all the wonderful gifts that I had to pack up when we left our apartment!

3 comments:

Cher said...

CONGRATS!!!!! I am so excited for you guys! Good luck with everything.

Dirk said...

Yay!!! Congrats, yes it's a big step but oh so worth it.

Larsen Mom said...

Thats so great. Where is the house? How old is it?