Friday, May 8, 2009

Isn't That the Way it Goes

A month ago we were so excited! (Let me go back a little more...) Only 5 months after we were married Jeff was in a car accident that totaled out his car. We only had about 3 months of payments left and had already started to plan what we would do with extra $$$ every month. Well, instead we bought a new car! We got an awesome deal on a 1 year old Toyota Camry. That car has been the best! It gets great gas mileage, is dependable, and a month ago became totally ours! A year early. The title arrived in the mail about 3 weeks ago.

So this morning I was driving to the grocery store on my way to drop Addie off at my mom's and head to school. It is Gum and Games Day at school today and I forgot to buy gum last night. Addie started to fuss in the back seat and I looked in my rear view mirror to check on her. When I focused back on the road the traffic going the same direction as me (East & West) wasn't moving but the traffic going the opposite direction (North & South) was starting. I immediately hit my brakes. (This is where the dramatic music starts and you hear the sounds of squealing rubber and smell the scent of burning rubber.) I swerved as much as I could in the time I had, but it wasn't enough and CRASH! I hit another car. I hit another car in my just barely paid off car.

Luckily it wasn't too bad of an accident. Addie was upset because she lost her bottle of milk due to one of Newton's Laws (I think it's Newton) and once it was returned to her she was just fine. I'm okay too, just a little shaken up. The car needs a new headlight and a paint job on the bumper.

So why would I tell you this embarrassing tidbit, and yes I am embarrassed. I've been in accidents but never been the cause of an accident. I tell you this because this morning I did something I don't think I've ever done. I put Addie in her car seat and tightened the straps. Got out of the backseat, climbed back in, and for no good reason (at least I thought at the time it was for no good reason) I tightened the straps one more click. And honesty is the best policy. I don't really know what I could've said to the officer to try and convince him that I had the right of way on a red light, or that I wasn't going about 5 mph over the speed limit. I'm an honest person. I don't lie well at all. But honesty pays off. Would you believe that I didn't get a citation? I was shocked. I ran a red light, hit another vehicle (the driver is okay too) and didn't receive a citation for it.

Just a reminder that my Heavenly Father is watching over me and loves me and my little girl. I'm not sure that if I hadn't tightened those straps just one more click what the outcome would be, but as the officer told me this morning, she was probably the safest one in the car.

I'll be making sure that my prayers get said tonight and thanking my Heavenly Father for all my blessings.

On a happier note...For those of you who don't know, I play softball on a city rec league. You'll be happy to know that I haven't been suspended for using steroids. I have to toot my horn because I'm so proud of what I did at our game last night. I play catcher...have the helmet and everything (well just a helmet and face mask) and last night the batter hit a foul ball up high above both our heads. So just like you see the pros do: I jumped up, threw off my mask, and caught that foul ball! OUT! This is our 4th season and every year there is one of those foul balls and every year I have missed it by inches. Not this year! Yea for me! Now if I could just hit one out of the infield.

2 comments:

Cher said...

SO glad that you guys weren't hurt. How scary!
Congrats on the great catch!!!!

Dirk said...

Glad you weren't hurt. Just admit it, you batted those blue eyes at the officer didn't you? ;)

j/k

Honesty has gotten me out of a couple speeding tickets in the past.